[Lxc-users] regarding lxc "states" available to lxc-monitor or lxc-wait usage

Vallevand, Mark K Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com
Fri May 10 13:49:00 UTC 2013

Actually, I've had good success using Unix domain named sockets for communications between programs in containers and host.  Perhaps they are in a shared name space.  But, don't change it.  :-)  It works.

It's not a generic solution for reporting status.

Regards.
Mark K Vallevand   Mark.Vallevand at Unisys.com
May you live in interesting times, may you come to the attention of important people and may all your wishes come true.

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Hallyn [mailto:serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 6:14 PM
To: Vallevand, Mark K
Cc: Guido Jäkel; bmullan.mail at gmail.com; lxc-users
Subject: Re: [Lxc-users] regarding lxc "states" available to lxc-monitor or lxc-wait usage

Quoting Vallevand, Mark K (Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com):
> I don't think signals to the container init process is the answer.  You can run a single program in a container.  When that program reaches a certain state, it could report that it is operational.  I don't know what the correct way to do that report using a new lxc feature.
>
> Currently, my program creates a file that indicates it is operational.  My container start-up code looks for that file before it assumes that the container is ready.

Right, that's what I'd probably do.  We can't really pass the info over
a socket since the container is likely in a separate netns.  Signals
require that (a) the container's init be in on it, and (b) that
container init get the signals and (c) have a way to pass them on.

Solving this in a generic way doesn't seem easy.