[Lxc-users] regarding lxc "states" available to lxc-monitor or lxc-wait usage

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu May 9 23:14:00 UTC 2013

Quoting Vallevand, Mark K (Mark.Vallevand at UNISYS.com):
> I don't think signals to the container init process is the answer.  You can run a single program in a container.  When that program reaches a certain state, it could report that it is operational.  I don't know what the correct way to do that report using a new lxc feature.
>
> Currently, my program creates a file that indicates it is operational.  My container start-up code looks for that file before it assumes that the container is ready.

Right, that's what I'd probably do.  We can't really pass the info over
a socket since the container is likely in a separate netns.  Signals
require that (a) the container's init be in on it, and (b) that
container init get the signals and (c) have a way to pass them on.

Solving this in a generic way doesn't seem easy.