[Lxc-users] LXC support on Vagrant

Fábio Rehm fgrehm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 19:32:01 UTC 2013

I've never used libvirt before, but after a quick search on Google I found
an old post from Mitchell Hashimoto (the creator of Vagrant) about
the comparison between Vagrant and libvirt:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4409255

>> 2. In your view what is the overlap in functionality between libvirt and
Vagrant and what are the differences? As far as I can see libvirt does let
you spin up boxes, talk to them and tear them down. The notable difference
is that there is no Puppet of Chef provisioning, is there anything else
beyond that?

>  2. I think the difference is that Vagrant is a tool focused on user
experience and workflow. i.e. it'd be possibly to build Vagrant on top of
libvirt. I think libvirt is technically stronger than Vagrant, but Vagrant
provides a better overall experience. The overlap is small, we both have a
lot to gain from working with each other.

The cool thing about Vagrant 1.1 is that it is no longer tied to Virtual
Box as it is right now on. That even opened up for AWS support which can
you can have a look over here:
http://www.hashicorp.com/blog/preview-vagrant-aws.html

Cheers,

--