[Lxc-users] Fwd: Time Namespace Support?

Walter walter.stanish+lxc-users at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 11:44:57 UTC 2013

Apparently there was once a patch regarding time namespaces @
https://lwn.net/Articles/179825/ but it has vanished.

For wont of a better place to ask - does anyone know if we'll see that
back soon?

Reason for quest: I am trying to run an NTP server in an LXC container
and would prefer not to have to grant the container CAP_SYS_TIME -
rather I would prefer that if CAP_SYS_TIME were absent then time
manipulation would affect the container only, ie. using time
namespaces, or if time namespaces were not available, it would fail
(as occurs presently when CAP_SYS_TIME is dropped for a container).

Any idea if we are likely to see any features like this at some point soon?

This would also make LXC a whole lot more useful to simulate some WAN
configurations (in combination with the sophisticated capabilities of
the networking stack, re: latencies, lossiness, traffic generation,
etc.) which is potentially something we are looking at shortly.

It would also make LXC really useful for stimulating weird,
time-related bugs in automated software testing (there's a whole lot
of those out there!)

I do realize that most people these days tend toward UTC for the
system clock .. I still see a time namespace as valuable, though,
for the above reasons.

- Walter