[Lxc-users] Rootfs as rw overlay on top of ro directory

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jun 12 01:33:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 12:19 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 04:07:27 AM, Ivan Vilata i Balaguer wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm doing some tests on containers having a union rootfs (using Aufs
> > in
> > Debian) consisting of a writable directory overlaid on top of a
> > read-only mount coming from a Squashfs image file.  The configuration
> > described below seems to work pretty well with lxc 0.9.0.alpha3 and
> > Linux 3.8.13-1 (on Debian Sid), at least when the writable directory
> > is
> > a plain one and not a mountpoint (see below).

> Actually "overlayfs" is the one Linus told Al Viro to include:

>    http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1303.1/02476.html

Well...  It's about time.  We've been crying for an upstream unionfs /
union mount, overlayfs for a couple of years now.  They've been fiddling
around over which one solves which problems and which fits the kernel
semantics better.  I saw some of the earlier discussions.  Everyone has
their sacred cows and their axes to grind and nothing is perfect.

> Might want to focus on the one that's actually going into the kernel,
> unless there's more recent developments I missed?

Has this one made it into 3.10?  What I'm hearing is that the 3.10
release is going to be a mammoth "cujo" release from the size of the
RC's and change sets.  I'm going to have to go check that out.  :-)=)