[Lxc-users] lxcbr0 MAC addr issue

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Wed Jun 5 11:37:47 UTC 2013

Dear Hans,

It is even mentioned on the page you told; http://backreference.org/2010/07/28/linux-bridge-mac-addresses-and-dynamic-ports/

>The MACs of the veth's are automatically set by lxc so what do you mean with "set the MAC of the veth's from a range"?
>Those "reserved ranges", do you have a pointer?

I'm using the prefix 00:50:C2 and the "formula" a.b.c.d -> 00:50:C2:bb:cc:dd to derive the three last bytes (hex) of the veth's inner MAC from the containers IP. You may set it by the lxc.network.hwaddr config option.

>I just thought it would be nice if lxc at boot could set this up automagically for all of us...

IMHO this not in the concern of LXC. Therefore if you want to set it's MAC to the one of the host NIC, you have to put it into the network setup framework.

At the very most, LXC may offer to choose the veth's MAC. It might be a (configurable) prefix and a random or "derived" value for the postfix. There have already been such a thread on the devel list to request a real MAC range reservation.

Greetings

Guido