[Lxc-users] clones of clones are failing to start

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 18 13:47:27 UTC 2013

Quoting Jäkel, Guido (G.Jaekel at dnb.de):
> Dear Serge,
>
> to assist to avoid such problems i would propose to introduce macro expansion (of the own tags but also by incorporating the environment variables) into the configuration argument parser and to provide some useful basics like the container name.  Then one may use e.g.
>
> 	lxc.hook.mount = $MYCONTAINER_HOME/hooks/$lxc.name

That sounds good.  Would you be able to post a patch to do this?

Though really, my example showed crazy things we need to worry about
users doing, but in reality I think you're better off having all
your scripts in one directory, having the scripts use the passed
in info (over argv and env in the scripts), and then maybe even
putting the list of hooks to run into a config exerpt that gets
#included from the containers

> In my personal LXC framework I need this because I want to have abstract configuration files for classes of containers. I simulate this by preparsing additional configuration files and converting it to "-s" options for lxc-start

And if you had this, you'd be able to simply use lxc-start without
the -s?  That sounds worthwhile then.

Can you show us an example of a pre-parsed config, and the final
executed lxc-start command?

> It would be also helpful, if one may use the -f option more than once (, don't checked if this is not already possible) and if there is a meta tag to use inside a configuration file to include another ('lxc.include = foo' or '@INCLUDE foo').

lxc.include exists now.  Does that suffice?

-serge