[Lxc-users] Unable to create lxc CT on fedora 19

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 10 14:00:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 20:25 -0700, jjs - mainphrame wrote:
> I've installed the lxc-0.9 rpms and installed the attached fedora
> template. The container is created successfully and can be started,
> but without networking. The equivalent operation on my ubuntu 13.04
> system produces a container with network connectivity.

Hmmm...  Interesting.  That's one area where my systems may be a bit
different that most others.  Since I have huge address space to play
with (on IPv4 and IPv6), I generally set my networking up for pure
bridging, instead of NAT.  That sounds like the default bridge may not
be set up properly.  I think the default uses virbr0 in the host which
is nominally handled by the libvirt stuff for things like dhcp.

> I haven't been able to do an apples to apples comparison since I can't
> seem to install a debian CT on fedora nor a fedora CT on ubuntu.

Interesting.  There may still be something else at play here then.
Still getting the same chroot errors?  I haven't been able to reproduce
them at all.

> Any hints as to where I should be looking?

1) Use lxc-console to log into the container and see if it got a network
address for its networking.

2) Use "brctl show" in the host to display the bridge configuration and
if virbr0 shows any connected devices.

3) Check the address of the virbr0 interface in the host.

4) Check to see if libvirt and dhcpd are running.

5) Make sure that you have forwarding enabled in the host.

I'll test some of this out on another host of mine with NAT networking.

> Joe

Regards,
Mike