[Lxc-users] Unable to create lxc CT on fedora 19

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 9 18:18:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 12:54 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 08:51 -0700, jjs - mainphrame wrote:
> > Hi Michael,

> > Yes, it is lxc-0.8 from the repos. I did notice that ubuntu shipped
> > with lxc-0.9.

> > You're right, f19 failed during the download phase. All the others
> > failed at the end with the chroot error.

> Good.  I just completed Ubuntu and Debian container installs without
> running into any errors (though the Ubuntu container install seemed to
> take FOREVER).

> I'm working on a patch for the Fedora template and will submit it up to
> the devel list, hopefull later today (I have several things on my list).
> Once Serge and Stéphane accept that, it'll be in the git repo for the
> next release.

I have a new lxc-fedora template now.  It's been tested running on
Fedora 17 through 19 and has installed Fedora containers for 11, 12, 13,
14, 16, 17, 18, and 19.

Fedora 15 container creation runs into a dependency on
fedora-rawhide-release (WHY???) but is way past EOL so I really don't
care.  Containers built manually don't run, anyways, thanks to that
version of systemd packaged with it.  Fedora prior to 11 also has weird
errors with the repos that's it's not worth worry or trying to fix,
they're so old.  Those earlier ones where just built to test the
template script anyways and the legacy repos tend to be a bit flaky...

Fedora 16 will build but will not run and, really, I expected that.
It's a compatibility problem with, what else, the systemd version
running in that container.  It's also post EOL and not worth any effort
(though I did try months ago - it's really a lost cause, it's so bad).

> > Thanks for the feedback, I now have a better sense of what's going on.
> > If you'd care to share any of your packages or scripts, I'd be
> > indebted.

> I'll see what I can do.

I've attached a new lxc-fedora template.  Copy this
to /usr/share/lxc/template/lxc-fedora AFTER installing 0.9.0.  I'll be
posting a patch to -devel later today.  There's more than just the fixes
to the retry logic and the release download logic you need in there.  It
also incorporates other patches that are already in staging plus a few
fixes for host version checking.  You can try it out and see how it
works for you.

> Thomas Moschny posted a link to some prebuilt rpms here:

> http://thm.fedorapeople.org/lxc/

> I haven't used them but I suspect they're not much different than the
> ones I build.  You may need to manually removed the lxc-doc package from
> the stock repository as there's a conflict in the rpm builds and the
> 0.9.0 package is not obsoleting the Fedora 0.8.0 lxc-doc package.
>
> > Joe

Regards,
Mike