[Lxc-users] Unable to create lxc CT on fedora 19

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jul 8 14:05:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-07-06 at 16:11 -0700, jjs - mainphrame wrote:
> All,
>

> Noob question here. I've been testing lxc on ubunbtu 13.04 and
> everything just works. However, all my attempts to create an lxc CT on
> fedora 19 have failed.

> The result is the same when attempting to create debian, ubuntu or
> fedora containers. What am I missing here?

As it so happens, I just upgraded one of my F18 workstations to F19 over
the weekend and had not gotten around to testing this yet.  So I just
tested.  Spotted an immediate and obvious problem before I even started
and fixed that before even making the attempt.

1) What version of lxc are you running?

The stock lxc rpms from the repos are 0.8.0.  Uh, oh.  No, that's not
gonna work at all.  Version 0.8.0 is not compatible with the version of
systemd that's shipped with F19 (or F18 for that matter).  You need to
upgrade lxc to at least 0.9.0 (current) and that's been discussed in
several other threads.  There are some prebuilt rpms floating around,
though I typically build my own since I've done some work on the
binaries and the Fedora template.  I would highly recommend installing
from some prebuilt rpms (or building your own) rather than from source
"compile and install".

No for testing...

2) The lxc-fedora template (even in 0.9.0) is busted, as I feared it
would be, for Fedora 19 because the Fedora 19 release file is a -2
release and it's only looking for a -1 release.  I saw that code a month
ago and thought "that can't be right" but it hasn't busted until now.
Nobody answered when I asked about that logic on the devel list back
then so I guess it's one more thing on my list to fix.  The whole retry
logic in that template is wrong, IMNSHO.

3) The errors couldn't be "the same" because the template logic is
different.  No where in the Fedora template do we do a "chroot .*
mount.*proc".  In fact, we don't even mount proc (which may be something
else I should look into).  That error on the "chroot ... mount -t proc"
would have never shown up in an fedora create (but you would have blown
up for the release download).

4) After installing lxc-0.9.0 on my F19 system AND hacking the bloody
lxc-fedora template for the release extension, I was able to
successfully install an F19 container on an F19 host.  I'll try Ubuntu
and Debian next.

AFAICT, almost none of the other templates have allowed for cross distro
container creation, which sucks.  One more thing to work on.  :-P

Regards,
Mike