[lxc-users] Several relatively new user questions:

Galen Brownsmith galens at capaccess.org
Sun Dec 8 03:05:17 UTC 2013

I've had less luck than I would expect with web searches for these
questions, so I figure asking would be the best remaining option.

1) Are there any existing tools/scripts to help manage the user accounts on
the host system and on a container?
For instance, I have my webserver running in an LXC container.  I would
like the container to be aware of the user accounts on my primary system,
so that User-relative URLS would work (http://foo.bar/~username ), but
there is no need for many system accounts to be present on the container
(lp, uucp, dbus, pulse) as there is no desktop/those services would never
be needed.

I would like for, on container start, is to generate an /etc/passwd file
containing the relevant system accounts (www-data, apache, root), and all
the users.  In additionally, for the users, I would like it to replace the
login shell for users not in the wheel group, with /bin/nologin.
(similarly, I'd like to generate a shadow file with only the root and
wheel-group users' passwords, and the samge for /etc/groups and
/etc/gshadow).  Ideally, on container shutdown, it would detect any new
system accounts, re-assign them a UID to ensure uniqueness, chown any
relevant files to the new UID, and store the new system account on the
host, but that may be more than necessary.  I would, ideally, not have to
track separate passwords for the same account by distinct virtual machine,
but that is what I may end up having to do.

Alternatively, is there a better strategy?  I know there is the automatic
UID renumbering options, but that disassociates a user's access rights
on-the-container from their files-on-the-host.  I could also presumably do
something with LDAP, but I'm trying to avoid requiring an LDAP server on my
home/desktop system.

2) Does anyone have a documented list of the minimal package requirements
for for an LXC container by distribution?  I'm certain there are packages
installed that are unnecessary, but I don't know debian/ubuntu well enough
to know which packages are safe to remove and which aren't.  I've tried
going through the packages by hand, but that isn't terribly efficient and
can still result in removing packages I shouldn't.
(Similarly, is there a list of the minimal container-safe init scripts?
Some are obvious, but other's aren't)

Thanks,

-- G

For what it is worth, My system architecture:
Base system: Fedora 19, LXC 0.9.0, Intel Core 2 Quad x86_64, 3.11.7 kernel
Containers: ubuntu 13.10 (4 - ssh host, webserver /LAMP stack, mail host,
media server)

That's the news from the Mystic River, where all the alliums are strong,
all the degu are good looking, and all the stuffed animals are above
average.
"May the ducks of your life quack ever harmoniously" - A. Yelton
galens at capaccess.org galens at marphod.net marphod at gmail.com & others