[Lxc-users] Working LXC templates?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Aug 29 02:25:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 10:31 -0700, Tony Su wrote:
> Was wondering if there is a source for working LXC templates for
> deploying non-native distros.

Ah...  One of my major bugaboos.  I keep pissing in peoples corn flakes
over making the template generic.  This is really an issue for lxc-devel
aot lxc-users but that's another matter.

> Although I'm working on openSUSE, it looks like the default provided
> templates are generic, for example author for the fedora template is
> Daniel Lezcano and the ubuntu template is Serge Hallyn.

Daniel authored it and I've made a number of modifications /
contributions.  What version of lxc-tools are you running?

> An example of current difficulties is that the Fedora repo system
> appears to have been restructured in a major way. I've partially made
> modifications to the fedora script (which was likely created sometime
> around fedora 14) by modifying the repo string to "add" a "f" letter
> to the path as follows
>
> RELEASE_URL="$MIRROR_URL/Packages/f/fedora-release-$release-1.noarch.rpm"

Oh?  That's an area where I've already had my fingers in.  Release ver,
please?  Things in git are likely to be working better there.

> But after locating the package and downloading,
>
> A series of errors follow beginning with a pycurl error unable to
> verify the remote host using SSL.

That does NOT sound like something related to inserting anything in the
path.  That's related to an SSL cert not verifying to the FQDN to the
originating site.  That has nothing to do with the longer URL past the
FQDN.  Cut and paste the errors.

> Although I can investigate how to disable the check, I thought I might
> first ask whether anyone knows of LXC scripts where you can be on a
> Host running one distro and run a different distro (preferably at
> least Fedora 18, but interested in others as well).

Within distro, F{X} to F{Y} I have verified it working from F14 through
F19 to F12 through F18.  From Ubuntu to Fedora, it should be working.
It's not perfect and I'm not at all certain it would work from OpenSUSE
or Arch or several others (but, it if doesn't, it never did) but that's
a problem I keep bitching about and I'm not certain it has an answer.
At least OpenSUSE has rpm and Ubuntu has febboot and yum support.  But
that's not the answer to the distro-agnostic templates.

> BTW - If anyone else is following what I've done to this point on
> openSUSE, I also figured out how to pass the "release" parameter in
> the template since although the template describes passing that
> parameter from the command line, it's not supported by lxc-create on
> openSUSE.

It certainly works on Ubuntu and Fedora.  You'll have to provide a few
more details there since I don't know any reason why it shouldn't honor
a "-t fedora -- -R 18" option.  what error do you get???

> TIA,
>
> Tony

Regards,
Mike