[Lxc-users] Containers are all getting same IP address

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Sat Aug 10 18:42:13 UTC 2013

FYI
I avoid the whole issue assigning different IP addresses by creating
my br devices using libvirt (vm manager).

Using vm manager, I can
Create a <named> virtual network that references using the specified
bridge device (all libvrit created bridge devices have a "virbr" name
instead of "br")
When you setup your bridge device using libvirt, you can configure a
DHCP process for that virtual network without having to install and
run a proper DHCP server.

Once you create the bridge device using libvirt, it can be used by
<any> virtualization technology, so for example although I'm not
managing my LXC Containers using libvirt, the bridge devices are still
usable by KVM, Xen, LXC and QEMU on my machine. Once the bridge device
is created, just reference it in your LXC Container config file and
from within the container your eth0 if setup for DHCP will
automatically get its address.

You can display the bridge devices that exist on your machine with the
following command
brctl show

Although it's probably likely that a "regular" bridge device could be
configured with DHCP and even be referenced by name, I find it so much
easier and avoids mistakes to just use vm manager to do the work for
me.

HTH,
Tony