[Lxc-users] Linux Mint and cgroups on /sys/fs/cgroup or /dev/cgroup/cpu

Arjan Widlak arjan at unitedknowledge.nl
Wed Aug 7 22:15:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm using Linux Mint and have the same problem as described in this post:

http://osdir.com/ml/lxc-chroot-linux-containers/2012-03/msg00130.html

On Linux Mint this entry is in /etc/bash.bashrc:

if [ "$PS1" ] ; then
    mkdir -p -m 0700 /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$ > /dev/null 2>&1
    echo $$ > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/tasks
    echo "1" > /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/notify_on_release
fi

The reason for this entry in Linux Mint is probably this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html

Of course I can mount cgroups on /sys/fs/cgroup. And after that I can
start a container. However I get these errors on my terminal:

bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/3855/tasks: No such file or directory
bash: /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/3855/notify_on_release: No such file or directory

What is the best approach here?
The lxc-checkconfig script finds cgroups mounted when it's mounted on
/dev/cgroup/cpu, but lxc-start does not.

In linux-vserver the location of the cgroup mount can be configured. Can
it with lxc?

Kind regards,
Arjan Widlak.