[Lxc-users] lxc-start: Error creating cgroups

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 7 21:28:21 UTC 2013

Quoting Ethier, Michael (methier at CGR.Harvard.edu):
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to start a lxc container I have setup on a test Centos 6.4 box. I downloaded and built lxc-0.9.0
> and installed it into /opt/lxc-0.9.0. I believe I have it setup properly and my test lxc host is called host1.
> When I try to start it I get:
>
> [root at sandbox ~]# lxc-start -n host1
> lxc-start: Error creating cgroups
> lxc-start: failed to spawn 'host1'
>
> I have /cgroup mounted:
> [root at sandbox ~]# mount |grep cgroup
> cgroup on /cgroup type cgroup (rw)

Just to make sure I hadn't broken this recently, I went ahead and tested
upstream git head with all cgroups mounted together under
/sys/fs/cgroup/all.  Containers did start just fine for me.

This wasn't straight lxc-0.9.0, so it's possible you're running into a
bug that has since been fixed.  You might want to git clone
git://github.com/lxc/lxc and build and test that.

It'll also be informative to run

	lxc-start -n host1 -l info -o debug.out

and look through debug.out for information about what actually failed.

-serge