[Lxc-users] cgroup behavior

David Parks davidparks21 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 03:12:05 UTC 2013

Speaking of cgroup behavior, you reminded me, I have an open question that
nobody managed to pick up on unix.stackexchange.com regarding blkio not
working as expected, maybe you can take a stab at it...

I've got 2 LXC containers with these cgroup settings:

lxc.cgroup.blkio.weight = 200

lxc.cgroup.cpu.shares = 200

  and another container with:

lxc.cgroup.blkio.weight = 800

lxc.cgroup.cpu.shares = 800

I have verified in /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio/lxc/<container-name>/blkio.weight is
indeed set to 200 on the host OS.

I have verified that cpu.shares are indeed split up, 80% to container 1 and
20% to container 2.

But when I run this command in both containers:

# write a 10GB file to disk

dd bs=1M count=10000 if=/dev/zero of=1test conv=fdatasync

I ran a similar test on reads.:

davidparks21 at test-cgroups1:/tmp$ time sh -c "dd if=1test of=/dev/null bs=1M"

10000+0 records in

10000+0 records out

10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 37.9176 s, 277 MB/s

real    0m37.939s

user    0m0.004s

sys     0m24.306s

The IO speeds see in iotop on the host OS are virtually the same between the
two containers.

I expected to see container 2 command 80% of the IO access in this case.