[Lxc-users] mknod inside systemd container

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Apr 2 22:59:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 16:02 +0100, John wrote:
> If my understanding is correctl, to stop systemd trying to launch udev
> and generally make a mess of everything inside a container, you need to
> remove the mknod capability from the container.

Ah...  That's kind of old information and not really effective.

> But what if I want
> (need) to be able to use mknod inside a container, how can I do that
> with a systemd container?

1) Get the latest lxc.  lxc 0.8 might suffice for systemd in a container
but not with systemd in the host and I wouldn't recommend it.  0.9.0 is
being pulled and bundled now.  It's not up yet but 0.9.0.rc1 is.

2) You'll have to add "lxc.autodev = 1" to your configuration file.

I have found that this works to get recent systemd containers (Fedora
17) to work but Fedora 15 and Fedora 16 (neither of which are supported
any longer) work due to udev / systemd interaction.

I would recommend waiting a couple of days until 0.9.0 is up and then
pulling it down and building it.  That's your best shot with systemd.