[Lxc-users] mknod inside systemd container

John lxc at jelmail.com
Tue Apr 2 15:02:47 UTC 2013

If my understanding is correctl, to stop systemd trying to launch udev
and generally make a mess of everything inside a container, you need to
remove the mknod capability from the container. But what if I want
(need) to be able to use mknod inside a container, how can I do that
with a systemd container?

I have this container that is a builder of system images for other nodes
(containers and/or metal boxes). In order to correctly do this it needs
to execute mknod inside the image as it builds it. (note, device nodes
created doesn't need to be usable in the context of the image being
built - the builder just needs to be able to create it).

I've been doing this for ages under sysvinit and it's been fine. I have
just migrated this builder container to systemd and hit this problem...
Is there another way to keep systemd in line other than removing the
mknod capability ?

Thanks,
John