[Lxc-users] [lxc-devel] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Oct 30 18:39:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 19:35 +0100, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 23:02 +0100, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > > Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> >
> > :

> > > Oh, I see.  Yeah, in the !lxc.ttydir case, when we created our own /dev
> > > we should create the tty files.  I need to fix that.
> >
> > Well...  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
> > The /dev/pts/* entries do does exist in the host system.  But the bind
> > mount fails saying they do not exist.  Not sure I understand what the

> In Ubuntu, we use lxc.ttydir = lxc.  That means the actual /dev/ttyN in the
> container is a symlink to /dev/lxc/ttyN (to allow package upgrades which
> insist on removing /dev/ttyN to succeed - they will fail if /dev/ttyN is
> mounted over).

> When /dev was pre-populated, /dev/ttyN existed.  But when we are populating
> it, it does not.  So before we try tomount /dev/pts/NN from the host onto
> /dev/ttyN in the container, we have to create a file to bind mount over.
> I didn't put that in the patch.  Yet.

Got it!  You and I both did the same thing.  I'm thinking from the view
of Fedora and you're thinking from the view of Ubuntu.  Got it.  We'll
get this right yet.  :-)=)