[Lxc-users] [lxc-devel] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Oct 30 18:35:45 UTC 2012

Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 23:02 +0100, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
>
> :
>
> > > I did see some errors setting up that dev...
> > >
> > > --
> > > [root at forest mhw]# lxc-start -n Alcove
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/59'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty1'
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/60'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty2'
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/61'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty3'
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/62'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty4'
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/63'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty5'
> > > lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to mount '/dev/pts/64'->'/usr/lib64/lxc/rootfs/dev/tty6'
> > > systemd 44 running in system mode. (+PAM +LIBWRAP +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP; fedora)
> > >
> > > Welcome to Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)!
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Not sure what that's all about but, since systemd isn't going to start
> > > getty's on the tty? interfaces anyways, it probably doesn't make much
> > > difference.
>
> > Oh, I see.  Yeah, in the !lxc.ttydir case, when we created our own /dev
> > we should create the tty files.  I need to fix that.
>
> Well...  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
> The /dev/pts/* entries do does exist in the host system.  But the bind
> mount fails saying they do not exist.  Not sure I understand what the

In Ubuntu, we use lxc.ttydir = lxc.  That means the actual /dev/ttyN in the
container is a symlink to /dev/lxc/ttyN (to allow package upgrades which
insist on removing /dev/ttyN to succeed - they will fail if /dev/ttyN is
mounted over).

When /dev was pre-populated, /dev/ttyN existed.  But when we are populating
it, it does not.  So before we try tomount /dev/pts/NN from the host onto
/dev/ttyN in the container, we have to create a file to bind mount over.
I didn't put that in the patch.  Yet.