[Lxc-users] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 26 16:11:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 23:38 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 25.10.12 11:59, Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com) wrote:

> > I SUSPECT the hang condition is something to do with systemd trying to
> > start and interactive console on /dev/console, which sysvinit and
> > upstart do not do.

> Yes, this is documented, please see the link I already posted, and which
> I linked above a second time.

This may have been my fault.  I was using the -o option to lxc-start
(output logfile) and failed to specify the -c (console output redirect)
option.  It seems to fire up nicely (albeit with other problems) with
that additional option.  Continuing my research.

> > I've got some more problems relating to shutting down containers, some
> > of which may be related to mounting tmpfs on /run to which /var/run is
> > symlinked to.  We're doing halt / restart detection by monitoring utmp
> > in that directory but it looks like utmp isn't even in that directory
> > anymore and mounting tmpfs on it was always problematical.  We may have
> > to have a more generic method to detect when a container has shut down
> > or is restarting in that case.

> I can't parse this. The system call reboot() is virtualized for
> containers just fine and the container managaer (i.e. LXC) can check for
> that easily.

Apparently, in recent kernels, we can.  Unfortunately, I'm still finding
that I can not restart a container I have previously halted.  I have no
problem with sysvinit and upstart systems on this host, so it is a
container problem peculiar to systemd containers.  Continuing to
research that problem.

> Lennart

> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.