[Lxc-users] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Oct 25 17:23:32 UTC 2012

Hey Serge,

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 11:19 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > Sorry for taking a few days to get back on this.  I was delivering a
> > guest lecture up at Fordham University last Tuesday so I was out of
> > pocket a couple of days or I would have responded sooner...

> > > Got it.  And that explains the problems we're seeing but also what I'm
> > > seeing in some libvirt-lxc related pages, which is a separate and
> > > distinct project in spite of the similarities in the name...
> >
> > > http://wiki.1tux.org/wiki/Lxc/Installation#Additional_notes
> >
> > > Unfortunately, in our case, merely getting a mount in there is a
> > > complication in that it also has to be populated but, at least, we
> > > understand the problem set now.
> >
> > Ok...  Serge and I were corresponding on the lxc-users list and he had a
> > suggestion that worked but I consider to be a bit of a sub-optimal
> > workaround.  Ironically, it was to mount devtmpfs on /dev.  We don't

> Oh, sorry - I take back that suggestion :)

> Note that we have mount hooks, so templates could install a mount hook to
> mount a tmpfs onto /dev and populate it.

Ok...  I've done some cursory search and turned up nothing but some
comments about "pre mount hooks".  Where is the documentation about this
feature and how I might use / implement it?  Some examples would
probably suffice.  Is there a require release version of lxc-utils?

> Or, if everyone is going to need it, we could just add a 'lxc.populatedevs = 1'
> option which does that without needing a hook.

> devtmpfs should not be used in containers :)

> -serge

Regards,
Mike