[Lxc-users] Using lxc on production

swair shah swairshah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:52:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 18:09 +0530, swair shah wrote:
> > I've been trying out lxc for a week now, and it seems there are a lot of
> > issues if the host system is centos and things work fine while using
> ubuntu
> > as the host. any way, right now I don't think lxc seems to be fit to run
> on
> > production boxes.
>
> > I was wondering if anyone is using lxc on production. and if you don't
> mind
> > disclosing, for what purpose do you use it on production?
>
> I'm using it on Fedora hosts just fine and I've got some deployed on
> CentOS as well with no problem.  Before anyone says anything about
> Fedora - the reason is that I can generally yum upgrade from one release
> to the next but going through the upgrade from RHEL/CentOS from say 4 to
> 5  to 6 is a painful experience.
>
> I totally abandoned Ubuntu when they went to Unity and the changes they
> made make it almost impossible to setup freenx servers on those
> machines.  Seems the packages are their but certain dependencies can not
> be resolved and reports I've read indicated, even AFTER you manually
> recompile some audio libraries and crap that Ubuntu dropped the ball on,
> it still is unreliable as all get out.  I rely too much on NX for remote
> desktops with 5 remote locations even when I'm home (and six when I'm on
> the road).  I can't have that.  I gave up after a couple of days of
> trying and ripped Ubuntu off all my systems and replaced it with Fedora.
> To each his own...
>
> I have one host (Fedora 15) which has approximately 3 dozen VM's running
> on it doing a variety of things like web, mail, mailing lists,
> databases, remote desktops, DNS (authoritative and caching), Nagios etc,
> etc.  My biggest headache is when a buddy of mine runs one of his
> database intensive scripts it runs the load average of the host up to
> over 10 for a couple of minutes but I'll beat on him later.
>
> I'd love to hear what issues you had on CentOS.  Obviously, if you are
> running LXC, it must have been CentOS 6.  What rev level and kernel?

I'm using lxc version 0.7.5 and kernel version 2.6.32.
This<http://pastebin.com/Qtue8g3P> is
the script I'm using.

The recent issue is that once I start a container, and try to do an ssh
from outside it doesn't show anything on the terminal. Though a ps aux says
that a pts/1 has been allocated to an ssh login. It used to fail before and
would give an error saying

error: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitted
error: open /dev/tty failed - could not set controlling tty: No such device

Which seems to be fixed by removing the mount of devpts from fstab and/or
doing
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/pts

One more problem is that I have to reboot the host everytime after I
shutdown any container to make everything work like before. After the
remount of /dev/pts that seems to have been fixed.

But the ssh thing is still a big issue. I'm thinking something is wrong
with the mount of /dev. Can you share your script? or conf file?

thanks!
swair