[Lxc-users] Using lxc on production

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Oct 22 13:18:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 18:09 +0530, swair shah wrote:
> I've been trying out lxc for a week now, and it seems there are a lot of
> issues if the host system is centos and things work fine while using ubuntu
> as the host. any way, right now I don't think lxc seems to be fit to run on
> production boxes.

> I was wondering if anyone is using lxc on production. and if you don't mind
> disclosing, for what purpose do you use it on production?

I'm using it on Fedora hosts just fine and I've got some deployed on
CentOS as well with no problem.  Before anyone says anything about
Fedora - the reason is that I can generally yum upgrade from one release
to the next but going through the upgrade from RHEL/CentOS from say 4 to
5  to 6 is a painful experience.

I totally abandoned Ubuntu when they went to Unity and the changes they
made make it almost impossible to setup freenx servers on those
machines.  Seems the packages are their but certain dependencies can not
be resolved and reports I've read indicated, even AFTER you manually
recompile some audio libraries and crap that Ubuntu dropped the ball on,
it still is unreliable as all get out.  I rely too much on NX for remote
desktops with 5 remote locations even when I'm home (and six when I'm on
the road).  I can't have that.  I gave up after a couple of days of
trying and ripped Ubuntu off all my systems and replaced it with Fedora.
To each his own...

I have one host (Fedora 15) which has approximately 3 dozen VM's running
on it doing a variety of things like web, mail, mailing lists,
databases, remote desktops, DNS (authoritative and caching), Nagios etc,
etc.  My biggest headache is when a buddy of mine runs one of his
database intensive scripts it runs the load average of the host up to
over 10 for a couple of minutes but I'll beat on him later.

I'd love to hear what issues you had on CentOS.  Obviously, if you are
running LXC, it must have been CentOS 6.  What rev level and kernel?

> cheers,
> swair

Regards,
Mike