[Lxc-users] Is there a good guide to lxc vlan setup for Ubuntu 12.04

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Sat Nov 10 16:24:49 UTC 2012

Situation: my host is itself in a VMware environment, such that it can have
multiple IP addresses, but not multiple MAC addresses. So using a
public-interface bridge, with a second MAC address for the guest, won't
work.

Tried So Far: lxc guest using private bridge from host, with iptables
DNAT/SNAT to secondary IP address of host on VMware LAN.

Good Results: Connections to guest from outside and host work normally for
all protocols tested, includiing ssh.

Bad Results: Connections from guest outward are normal for some things, for
example ping and wget, but partially fail for others, especially ssh, ftp
and yum, where initial connections are made but the subsequent negotiations
get screwed up.

Question: Would a vlan for the guest's connection get around the problem
with the veth/bridge setup that's showing these problems in this
environment? If that even makes sense as a possibility ...

To Test: Is there a good recipe for vlan setup for lxc on an Ubuntu 12.04
host somewhere? I realize most people aren't restricted to a single MAC
address, so sharing a bridge on the public interface, rather than a private
bridge as that restriction has led me to, just works. Most likely the public
bridge setup has none of the problems I'm seeing. So most of the recipes I'm
seeing just go with bridging, including the Ubuntu docs. If anyone can
provide or point me to a recipe for a basic vlan setup for lxc, that would
be helpful.

Thanks,
Whit