[Lxc-users] current status of LXC in Ubuntu precise? (WAS: Problem mounting Host directory in guest)

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu May 10 15:06:31 UTC 2012

Quoting Fajar A. Nugraha (list at fajar.net):
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> >> I don't get that problem.  Is your host a stock precise image?
> >
> > yes.
>
> I think I found the problem.
>
> Depending on what you meant by "stock precise image", then my host
> might not be one, since it's not installed using the live cd
> installer. It was created using debootstrap, and later "apt-get
> install ubuntu-desktop lxc".
>
> The problem with that approach is:
> - the default lxc guest container setup created using templates will
> try to change apparmor profile to  lxc-container-default. That
> operation apparently requires apparmor package to be installed
> - neither ubuntu-desktop, lxc, or the packages it depends on has any
> dependecy for apparmor. lxc only depends on libapparmor1, which
> apparently is not enough
> - using "lxc.aa_profile = unconfined" removes the need to change
> apparmor profile, thus removes the need for apparmor package
>
> So I'm guessing the correct fix would be to either:
> - include apparmor as dependecy for lxc, OR
> - use "lxc.aa_profile = unconfined" uncommented by default for
> template-created containers.

Awesome, thanks Fajar.  That's clearly a bug in the lxc package.
I *think* none of the code in lxc needs the apparmor package itself,
but it looks like the profile abstractions belong to it, so what
may be happening is that the loading of the lxc profiles is actually
failing due to lack of abstractions?  Not sure...  In any case I'll
open a bug and get that fixed!  Thanks.

-serge