[Lxc-users] Container name as DNS name

Ben Butler-Cole ben at bridesmere.com
Thu Jun 28 12:45:03 UTC 2012

Hello

I'm using LXC on EC2, with Ubuntu host and guests. Currently using 11.10
and now upgrading to 12.04. The new functionality to set up the bridge
network automatically is great and should make my life a lot easier.

However the default dnsmasq configuration, combined with the way EC2's DNS
servers behave, means that my containers are getting EC2-like DNS names
assigned automatically (like ip-10-0-3-97.eu-west-1.compute.internal).

I was previously using a configuration[1] which had dnsmasq manage a domain
itself and resulted in assigning the container name as the DNS name.

Is there a simple way to recover this behaviour without ignoring the
provided network configuration entirely?

I can't see a way to easily modify the dnsmasq configuration that LXC uses
without hacking the Upstart script. Would it be reasonable to move the
dnsmasq configuration from the script into a separate file so that it could
be modified independently?

Thanks for you help.
-Ben

[1] mostly stolen from