[Lxc-users] lxc headeache on debian wheezy

Loïc lxc at friendchip.fr
Tue Jul 31 00:46:57 UTC 2012

Le 30/07/2012 02:46, Daniel Baumann a écrit :
> On 07/30/2012 02:21 AM, Loïc wrote:
>> Would you be kind to point me to this bug number, since you probably
>> know it?
> any of those with the subject 'missing preseeding for live-debconfig' or
> something like that.

OK. I found it. Thanks for the hint.
But so far it doesn't help me much.
Should I think that I'll have to chroot to the container, create these
devices and that it will then start correctly?
I cannot believe that the documentation is that poor.
We have a wiki LXC page that is called outdated by you, and no usable
doc in /usr/share/doc/lxc to fix that problem.
Where should we (the lusers) search then? I understand that testing is
"testing", not stable, but really in this case we could call it
"unstable" or even "broken".
I don't blame you, that's software dev. with it's problems. I blame the
total lack of useful and up to date doc.

>> There is a "linux-container" debian package, but no "live-debconfig" one.
>> What am I supposed to do then, when no up to date documentation is
>> available?
> it's still in NEW.

What's in new?
The package?
And what NEW is?
Understand me well, I don't want to sound rude. But I'm not a Debian
dev. So I'm not comfortable with this terminology.

I still state that with the current doc, this package is unusable.
Totally useless.
So sorry for the efforts you probably made so far. I don't want to sound
like an asshole.
In the other hand, I told already that I'll be happy to document it on
my spare time, with your help, if you think it's boring (I now that
documenting is boring, so I want to help as much as I can).

>> Should I believe that lxc was unusable for 18 months or that it's just a
>> late bug?
> debian-live gets, by its nature, most of its stuff for the release done
> once debian is frozen; i've unified linux-container and live-config
> parts into live-debconf to make it useful generically.. that needs some
> time to ripple through all involved packages. just be patient and wait.

OK, I'll wait then. Let's state I've learn the lesson to never try to
migrate stable to testing, even when it started freezing. :(

> and yes, had you used it before that (i.e. ~two weeks ago), everything
> has worked perfectly.

Not my days (or weeks :)) I think :)

Regards and cheers anyway. I appreciate your feedback.

--
Loïc