[Lxc-users] lxc-console on Debian Squeeze - buggy?

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Fri Jan 6 19:04:50 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 07:13 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Hmm. I added artax-backports to apt per
> http://wiki.progress-linux.org/software/apt/, did apt-get update and apt-get
> dist-upgrade, and while the update fetched stuff from you, the dist-upgrade
> didn't.

you don't need to pull in all packages. you can use artax-backports
excately the same as squeeze-backports (means, apt-get install -t
artax-backports lxc linux-2.6). that way, you get only that what you
want/need (though upgrading all packages is ok and supported, unlike
squeeze-backports).

> Do I need to add your keys for that to just work? If so, it looks
> like they should be on
> http://www.progress-linux.org/releases/artax-backports/current/, but that
> address gives a 404 error.

it's http://www.progress-linux.org/releases/artax-backports/next/ since
the release images have not been built yet.

yes, you do need the keys. signatures with my debian.org key are
available[0] alongside the keys in order to establish a trust-path via
debian-keyring.

apt (and aptitude) has a longstanding bug that if *one* repo is
untrusted (or expired), then *all* pinning information is disregarded.
this then leads to the 'symptom' you're having - artax-backports by
default is NoAutomatic/NoAutomaticButUpgrades (equivalent to 200), so
squeeze (equivalent to 500) is higher and you don't get the packages
automatically (unless -t artax-backports is used, of course).

> Takes me back to considering building a custom kernel. Is there a concise
> list somewhere of what LXC needs enabled if I build a 3.2 kernel?

you can use the standard debian configuration, no need to start from
scratch, you can 'extract' it from the linux-2.6 package (experimental
has 3.2 pre-releases, pick the right flavour of linux-image-$whatever
package, extract /boot/config-* from it, and use that).

fyi, my kernel backports track sid, means, once 3.2 gets uploaded to
sid, i'll upload it to artax-backports. according to the kernel team,
they do want to upload 3.1.8-1 first though, so 3.2 backports looks like
not going to happen over the weekend.

[0] http://archive.progress-linux.org/progress/project/keys/

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Internet:       http://people.progress-technologies.net/~daniel.baumann/