[Lxc-users] how to mount inside of running container

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Sep 21 17:26:01 UTC 2011

Quoting Arie Skliarouk (skliarie at gmail.com):
> I want to bind-mount an directory inside of a running container.
> If I mount the directory using bind mount, the container does not see
> files in it.
>
> It is important to me to be able to do the mounts and umounts from the
> host machine, as we are dealing with LVM snapshots.

If it's ok to do it ahead of time, then you can use mount entries in
your config file.

If you want to be able to just manually run the mount command from
the host at any time, then you'll need to create a directory for
the sharing and mount that into your container ahead of time.  For
instance,

mkdir /share/containerX
mkdir /var/lib/lxc/containerX/rootfs/share
mount -t tmpfs share /share/containerX
mount --make-rshared /share/containerX
mount --make-rslave /share/containerX
cat >> /var/lib/lxc/containerX/fstab << EOF
/share/containerX /var/lib/lxc/containerX/rootfs/share none bind 0 0
EOF

lxc-start -n containerX -d

Now when you mount something under /share/containerX, it will show
up under /share in the container.  I.e.

-serge