[Lxc-users] OUI

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Wed Oct 12 00:08:22 UTC 2011

Looks like the cheap and easy to get OUI is 36 bits long, leaving only
12 bits for the user.

Is 4096 possible unique MAC's enough?

I think OUI-36 must be meant more for like an individual organization,
or even just a workgroup or even just a person. Like I might get one for
my company and it would just be just our lxc vm's, or just all the lxc
vms in a particular building.

To get a real OUI is more expensive but still doable. But it requires
more substantial justification. We may have to have some sort of
official organization or entity to be the applicant and recipient just
for starters.

I'm looking around to see if something like Software Freedom Law Center
can be used to handle stuff like that. I recently heard some guy on a
podcast, maybe Triangulation? (from This Week in Tech network) talking
about the organization he worked for did exactly this kind of thing,
they do the business and legal stuff a project sometimes needs, but
which no developer wants to do or is any good at doing. If it wasn't
software freedom law center it was something like that.

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/

I'm thinking maybe we might as well just use a locally administered
address and rely on convention and luck to quazi-standardize it until
there is more of a real need for a definitive oui instead of getting a
real public one that has so few addresses.

--
bkw