[Lxc-users] Fwd: RE: Price Request For lxc.org

Derek Simkowiak derek at simkowiak.net
Tue Oct 11 20:07:55 UTC 2011

 > /Add it to the possible wish list along with the MAC address prefix/

     If there is interest in an official LXC vendor MAC address prefix,
I'd like to call your attention to this Linux kernel bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/584048
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-July/msg00450.html

     These bug reports are for KVM with bridging, however, I have seen
the same symptom using LXC.  The symptom is that the network bridge goes
dead for several seconds when starting or stopping containers.  The root
of the issue is in the Linux kernel, and how it handles the MAC address
of bridges (and bond interfaces, too).

     In summary, the MAC prefix can't be arbitrary, because a low MAC
vendor prefix causes a short-term network blackout on the bridge device
when starting or stopping LXC containers, or KVM/qemu VMs, or any other
environment using non-physical interfaces.  The blackout is (apparently)
caused by the bridge changing its MAC address.

     I have added a workaround to my script for this bug (see Comment
#60 in Launchpad, above).  According to Serge Hallyn: "That it is a
general bridge property is indeed known. The fix in this bug is, like
your script, simply working around that fact."

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
derek at simkowiak.net