[Lxc-users] New LXC Creation Script: lxc-ubuntu-x

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 5 13:53:49 UTC 2011

On Thu 2011-09-29 (18:05), Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> Hello,
>      I have just published a new Open Source LXC container creation
> script, called lxc-ubuntu-x.  It implements all the latest "best
> practices" I found on the web, and introduces some new features.  I am
> using this script in a production environment, and I invite you to check
> it out:
>
> http://derek.simkowiak.net/lxc-ubuntu-x/
>
>      It currently generates Ubuntu or Debian containers.
>
>      I created this because the scripts and tutorials I found on the web
> all had shortcomings of one form or another.  For example, many blogs
> recommend mounting filesystems within the container's init (which does
> not allow for a shared read-only mount, because root can simply remount
> it).  So, this script uses an external fstab file.  Also:
>
> - It creates a random MAC address with a high vendor address, to
> workaround Launchpad bug #58404
> - It generates new (unique) SSH host keys and SSL certificates for each
> new container
> - It applies all necessary dev, mtab, and init script fixes, including
> booting containers with Upstart
> - It is fully non-interactive; it allows for automatic generation of
> containers. (Getting this to work was surprisingly difficult!)
> - It restricts container "capabilities" as much as possible by default
> - It creates a default user, sets his password, installs any SSH
> "authorized_keys" file you want, and adds him to the sudo admin group.

Besides the last step, I have it all in my solution which I have posted to
the list several months ago:

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/lxc.html

Plus: I can execute any command inside a container without ssh.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server- und Arbeitsplatzsysteme
Rechenzentrum                  E-Mail: horlacher at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-685-65868
Allmandring 30                 Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/