[Lxc-users] How to execute smbtorture command using lxc-execute?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Nov 4 08:28:25 UTC 2011

On Fri 2011-11-04 (11:32), nishant mungse wrote:

> And when is use lxc-start -n base and start the container base and then
> when I add user, it is shows the entry of user in /home of container and
> also in /etc/group of container.
>
> My doubt is when i use lxc-execute and add user why it not adding the entry
> in /etc/group of container and why it is adding when i use lxc-start?

lxc-execute operates on a different container than lxc-start.
With lxc-execute you cannot start a programm (like useradd) inside a
already running container.

lxc-start is for booting a whole linux system while lxc-execute starts
only a single programm inside an isolated environment ("container" in lxc
terminolgy).

The lxc-execute man-page needs more explanation on this point.

If you want to execute a programm inside a running container, you have to
use ssh or my lxc script:

lxc -x containter useradd ...

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/lxc.html

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server- und Arbeitsplatzsysteme
Rechenzentrum                  E-Mail: horlacher at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-685-65868
Allmandring 30                 Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/