[Lxc-users] lxc container messing with hosts networking

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Sat May 14 00:34:21 UTC 2011

Quoting arkaitzj at gmail.com (arkaitzj at gmail.com):
> Hi all,
> lxc-version says 0.7.3, kernel 2.6.38
> My problem is that I lose network conectivity to the host when I start a
> guest.

Immediately I assume that your problem is that the mac addresses
assigned to your containers are lower than that of the bridge.  The
bridge always takes on the lowest mac of any of its nics, so it'll
change its mac address, which will temporarily drop the host's
network connection if it's also part of that bridge.

If I'm not mistaken you can specify a macaddr for your container
using

lxc.network.hwaddr=$x

where x is a mac address - just make sure it's higher than the
host's.

-serge