[Lxc-users] Control panel

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Mar 11 22:39:41 UTC 2011

On 3/10/2011 9:04 PM, Stuart Johnson wrote:

>>> Meaning you think python would be too heavyweight?
>> Certainly as one approaches the embedded end of the spectrum, there's
>> something to be said for avoiding dependencies on large (compared to
>> busybox ash) interpreters.  It'd be neat if I could deploy per-service
>> containers on, say, a router with an 8MB MTD and 32MB RAM, and using
>> python/perl/ruby/whatever would make that harder.  Maaaaybe lua would be
>> a better fit; I tend to stick to busybox ash, since it's already there.
>
> Perhaps we should be asking first, should an ncurses control panel be
> part of LXC or a separate project?  If it's the latter, then its rather
> immaterial, although personally I would love it to be part of LXC.  I
> want to able to install LXC on any Linux box, and start managing
> containers with the least amount of effort.

The embedded example just shows how everyones needs are very different.
I can see that wanting the lightest of non-interactive shell scripts run
as cgi from a web server and all ui done via browser, or possibly run
directly by the web server from a built-in mod_php or such with no use
for ncurses at all.

I say let the main lxc package just continue to make better
non-interactive command line tools, and let all higher level front-ends
be separate packages written in whatever language(s) the authors like,
serving whatever diverse special purposes they may.

Ideally of course would be to improve libvirt and/or other virt managers
add lxc support to them and modify lxc relatively little just to
facilitate that where indicated.

--
bkw