[Lxc-users] updated lxc template for debian squeeze - with attachedscript ; )

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Mar 11 22:08:30 UTC 2011

On 3/11/2011 10:14 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

>>> I too am willing to pay the whole thing, so, halvsies? Or see how many
>>> others want to split even?
>
>> Sounds good.  I guess we can nominate you as the finance go-to on this
>> one then :)
>
>> Let us know details when they emerge.
>
> Can someone explain to me why we can't simply use a block of addresses
> with the 0200 (local administration) bit or'ed in.  Out of 48 bits of
> addressing, we can use 46 bits of them for anything we want as long as
> that bit is set and the 0100 bit (multicast) is clear.  By the standard,
> those are locally managed and allocated MAC addresses that are not
> guaranteed to be globally unique.  They don't even need to be unique in
> an entire network, only on the local subnet.  Use any convention you
> want.  Stuff the 32 bit IP address of the host in the lower 32 bits and
> you've still got 14 bits worth of assignable addressing per host.
> That's what that bit is intended for.

That is exactly what I do myself.

I'm not sure there is a specific need for a recognizable lxc address
space, but exactly the same thing could be said about xen and for some
reason they have one. I don't claim it's necessary I just claim three
things:

1) It wouldn't hurt.

2) It's cheap enough in both cash and time not to matter, more than
enough volunteers have already presented themselves.

3) I don't presume that because I don't perceive a reason, that no
reason exists.

One scenario I envision off-hand would be that automated vmware tools
and xen tools and lxc tools could each provision addresses from their
own spaces and guaranteed never step on each others toes.

--
bkw