[Lxc-users] updated lxc template for debian squeeze - with attachedscript ; )

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 11 15:57:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 10:14 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > > I too am willing to pay the whole thing, so, halvsies? Or see how many
> > > others want to split even?
>
> > Sounds good.  I guess we can nominate you as the finance go-to on this
> > one then :)
>
> > Let us know details when they emerge.
>
> Can someone explain to me why we can't simply use a block of addresses
> with the 0200 (local administration) bit or'ed in.  Out of 48 bits of
> addressing, we can use 46 bits of them for anything we want as long as
> that bit is set and the 0100 bit (multicast) is clear.  By the standard,
> those are locally managed and allocated MAC addresses that are not
> guaranteed to be globally unique.  They don't even need to be unique in
> an entire network, only on the local subnet.  Use any convention you
> want.  Stuff the 32 bit IP address of the host in the lower 32 bits and
> you've still got 14 bits worth of assignable addressing per host.
> That's what that bit is intended for.

Another reason we may want do to this is a little more obscure.  The MAC
address of a Linux bridge is the numerically lowest MAC address of the
attached interfaces.  If you are using bridged networking and the
containers have a MAC addresses lower than that of the host, the bridge
will change MAC addresses as the containers are started and stopped.
Since the host interface is a member of that bridge, the host's
effective MAC address to the rest of the network also effectively
changes as containers open and close.  This is a bad thing.  It can
cause temporary transient network delays and glitching in the ARP cache
on IPv4 and generally raise havok on IPv6.  Choosing something arbitrary
with a couple of high order bits set (say C2:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) helps
insure that the containers have higher addresses than the host interface
and will not cause dynamic changes in the MAC addresses of the bridges.