[Lxc-users] Control panel

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Fri Mar 11 08:24:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,

i want to agree to Stuart statement:

> Perhaps we should be asking first, should an ncurses control panel be part of LXC or a separate project?

To my opinion and in comparison to similar projects, there should be a clear separation between any higher level (GUI) tool and the basic level teer with it's commandline accessors.

In the scope of low level teer, it would be usefull for this to have a well structurized communication API like a procfs-driver (and/or an XML interface) to get the status and parameters of the running containers or even set some things. This may be the interface for some higher level toolkits. Maybe one will say, that this all is already available in the cgroup. Then it's fine -- i havn't looked closely on this, yet.

But I personally wonder what group of users will need a simple "control panel". If you're in a production environment, you will tend to start or stop your containers as seldom as you will start and stop your servers. If your're a developer, you may use it a few times for convenience and then you'll ask to script it by your development environment. But I may be wrong and when people ask for it other may start to work.

>From following this mailing list a couple of days now, I would say: For the LXC project itself will much more helpful to lower the border for the newbies and users of binary-distro if there is some kind of setup wizard tool to guide the compilation of a lxc.conf. Or at least a bunch of well-kept howto's, explanations and examples in a wiki space on the LXC homepage.

with greetings

Guido