[Lxc-users] rant: Debian template

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Tue Jun 21 11:57:56 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 11:40 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Anybody actually uses the "Debian" template?

the debian package is quite screwed anyway, i've supplied all the
patches to both the debian bts and to upstream (who merged them). in the
meanwhile, i have my patched ones[0] available.

after my exams (end of week), i intend to a) nmu the debian package to
get the accumulated stuff into the archive and b) finish my
90%-already-done improved debian template that optionally allows
configuration using debconf and supply that upstream, too.

oiow: regarding the debian template, don't worry.. just be a bit more
patient.

> If this bug is open for so long, I suspect most users don't really use
> those templates. Am I right? What do you use to set up a new Debian
> system?

well, the problem is that even with a fixed debian-template, you can't
use a working debian out of the box (neither squeeze, wheezy or sid).
i've supplied all the necessary patches to the various packages
(sysvinit, ifupdown, etc.) a very long time ago (~8 months). see my
notes at [1], for those who are interested, i'm providing premade
squeeze images[2] that include the required changes to make lxc work
nicely and out of the box.

> And a general rant: no IRC channel to ask questions on, and no link to
> the mailing list from http://lxc.sourceforge.net (the page mentioned as
> "Homepage" of the package on my package manager).

i must have missed you, i'm in the channel since.. long time.

Regards,
Daniel

[0] http://vcs.progress-linux.org/?p=packages/lxc.git;a=summary
[1] http://wiki.progress-linux.org/software/lxc
[2] http://www.progress-linux.org/releases/artax/1.0.1; note that 1.0.2
    based on squeeze 6.0.2 will be out next monday.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Internet:       http://people.progress-technologies.net/~daniel.baumann/