[Lxc-users] read only rootfs

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 20 13:15:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:10 -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> > [root at forest ~]# lxc-start --name Plover
> > lxc-start: Invalid argument - pivot_root syscall failed

> sort of unrelated, but Rob Landley had mentioned he wanted to fix chroot
> to prevent the chdir-based chroot escape, allowing lxc to use chroot in
> place of pivot_root.  As you see above, pivot_root has some very stringent
> constaints regarding the ms_shared state of the mounpoints *and* their
> parents, so this would be a very good thing.

Interesting.  Very interesting.  Especially since I remember being
involved in the whole transition from chroot over to pivot_root way back
when.

Explains a couples of other anomalies I observed.

> And would prevent the above.

I'm going to have to refresh my memory of the reasons for switching from
chroot over to pivot_root in the first place.  There was more than one
and the chdir-based chroot escape was only one.

> As far as the main topic of this thread, I feel I can't really do it
> justice without trying harder to reproduce, which I can't do today.  I'm
> going to try and find time tomorrow or friday to do so (if you haven't
> gotten to the bottom of this before that).  We also might want to point
> dhansen at the mail archive of this thread and get his input.

Ok...  I've still got some testing and experimenting to do based on
those hints C Anthony gave me.  ITMT, I'm not sure who you are referring
to as dhansen (so I can't point them anywhere) but, the more the merrier
if it helps this thing along.

> -serge

Regards,
Mike