[Lxc-users] read only rootfs

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jul 20 12:10:04 UTC 2011

Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> [root at forest ~]# lxc-start --name Plover
> lxc-start: Invalid argument - pivot_root syscall failed

sort of unrelated, but Rob Landley had mentioned he wanted to fix chroot
to prevent the chdir-based chroot escape, allowing lxc to use chroot in
place of pivot_root.  As you see above, pivot_root has some very stringent
constaints regarding the ms_shared state of the mounpoints *and* their
parents, so this would be a very good thing.

And would prevent the above.

As far as the main topic of this thread, I feel I can't really do it
justice without trying harder to reproduce, which I can't do today.  I'm
going to try and find time tomorrow or friday to do so (if you haven't
gotten to the bottom of this before that).  We also might want to point
dhansen at the mail archive of this thread and get his input.

-serge