[Lxc-users] PostgreSQL - "sh: cannot create /dve/null: Permission denied" - LXC Issue?

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Sat Dec 24 19:52:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Patrick Kevin McCaffrey wrote:

> I'm running into this issue when trying to set up a PostgreSQL server
> inside one of my containers.  The Postgre mailing list seems suspect of
> my LXC setup, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any input.  The outline
> of my problem is below.  I've got Postgre installed/configured, but I
> can't run the "initdb" command as seen below...

> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] New User: PostgreSQL Setup - "The Program 'postgress' is needed by initdb but was not found in the same directory..."
>
> Patrick Kevin McCaffrey <pkm at uwm.edu> writes:
>>> I'm following the instructions that come with the source, and am stuck on this line:
>>> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>>> When I run it, I get the following:
>>> sh: cannot create /dev/null: Permission denied

If the other replies aren't helping, I'm wondering if your running your
container under NFS?

I've been doing this recently and having issues with NFSv3 & 4, but 2 is
OK. I think it's something to do with ACSs possibly being enabled, but
I've not had time to check further - as it works with good old v2 and
that's OK for me, for now...

Gordon