[Lxc-users] SSHD container and DHCP

Martin Konečný martin.konecny at sourcefabric.org
Fri Dec 23 00:40:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been looking into this for a few days without any success. When I
create an LXC container using lxc-ubuntu shell script, then my containers
can successfully obtain an IP address via DHCP.

However when I create a container using lxc-sshd, then I need to specify
the IP address manually for it to acquire an IP. I think I know why this is
happening (SSHD container has its own init script which probably forgoes
all network service initialization). I'd really like my SSHD container to
acquire an IP dynamically.

Things I've tried so far:

1) Running "dhclient"
2) Running ifup eth0

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 operating system, and here is the contents of
/etc/network/interfaces (container's point of view)

auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

What can I do to start the network initialization? I'm learning all I can
about Linux network configuration right now, but a nudge in the right
direction would be appreciated.

Martin

Martin Konecny
Software Developer, Sourcefabric