[Lxc-users] lxc-destroy does not destroy cgroup

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon Dec 12 22:01:59 UTC 2011

Quoting Gordon Henderson (gordon at drogon.net):
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Arie Skliarouk wrote:
>
> > When I tried to restart the vserver, it did not came up. Long story short,
> > I found that lxc-destroy did not destroy the cgroup of the same name as the
> > server. The cgroup remains visible in the /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/master
> > directory. The tasks file is empty though.
>
> And just now, I've had the same thing happen - a container failed to
> start and it left it's body in /cgroup - with empy tasks.

The patch I sent out on Friday should help handle that more gracefully -
it moves the cgroup out of the way so a new container can start.  You'll
need to clean the old one up by hand if you care to, though lxc could
easily provide a tool to clean it up (and move and analyze any tasks left
running in the cgroup, though I suspect in most cases there are none).

-serge