[Lxc-users] lxc-destroy does not destroy cgroup

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:43:56 UTC 2011

> When I tried to restart the vserver, it did not came up. Long story short,
> I found that lxc-destroy did not destroy the cgroup of the same name as the
> server. The cgroup remains visible in the /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/master
> directory. The tasks file is empty though.
>
> I had to rename the container to be able to start it.

About 18 hours after the event, the physical machine locked up hard.
Without any message in dmesg or on its console. Before that, the machine
worked pretty hard for about 60 days without a hitch.

My gut feeling is that it is related to the stale cgroup somehow.

Out of curiosity, what kernel are you running? I'm on 2.6.35, but looking
> at some of the later ones now...

I use kernel 3.0.0-12-server amd64 as packaged in the ubuntu 11.10. I had
problems with earlier kernels as they locked up the machine every week or
so.

--
Arie