[Lxc-users] lxc-destroy does not destroy cgroup

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Thu Dec 8 15:21:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Arie Skliarouk wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 14:05, Gordon Henderson <gordon at drogon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Arie Skliarouk wrote:
>>
>>> When I tried to restart the vserver, it did not came up. Long story
>> short, I found that lxc-destroy did not destroy the cgroup of the same name
>> as the server. The cgroup remains visible in the /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/master
>> directory. The tasks file is empty though.
>>
>> > I had to rename the container to be able to start it.
>>
>> Did you remember to stop it first?
>
> Of course! It is part of the vserver stop script.

Just checking!

>>> All this on ubuntu 11.04, 3.0.0-12-server amd64. Thoughts, comments?
>>
>> Very very similar to what I experience from time to time. (Posted about
>> recently with zero response) Although my more drastic solution is to reboot
>> the host, but I have gotten away with lxc-stop then a start.
>
> Well, with 65 running containers (24GB of RAM) it is easier to rename the
> vserver :)

Yes. I can see that a system restart might irritate a few other people!

Out of curiosity, what kernel are you running? I'm on 2.6.35, but looking
at some of the later ones now...

> I've now stopped using memory limits in containers and for the time being
>> will let them swap (or share more memory with other containers and swap if
>> needed) - they're mostly well behaved though.
>
> My vservers do not behave well and require restrictions.

OK.

> BTW, do you know how can I restrict number of running processes in a
> container (like in openvz)?

No idea I'm afraid. I guess some sort of super limit passed into the
containers init (via setrlimit() ?) is what's needed...

Gordon