[Lxc-users] lxc-fstab vs /etc/fstab vs /lib/init/fstab

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 6 13:46:59 UTC 2011

Quoting Trent W. Buck (twb at cyber.com.au):
> Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at canonical.com>
> writes:
>
> > Next, upstart's mountall consults /lib/init/fstab.  That's the one
> > which will usually prevent container startup from proceeding.  The
> > lxcguest package for ubuntu will force upstart to mount an empty
> > version of that file before mountall runs.  So if you install lxcguest
> > then mountall can safely run, which makes your container safer against
> > package updates.
>
> Interesting approach.  IIRC I just
>
>     dpkg-divert --rename /lib/init/fstab
>     :> /lib/init/fstab

Yeah that can be a good trick.

That doesn't meet my goal, though, of having a single disk image able
to boot both as container and kvm host (and physical host).

Which is particularly useful when dealing with something like openstack,
where Chuck now has a single image which is used to fire off both kvm
based and libvirt-lxc based images.

thanks,
-serge