[Lxc-users] Cluster Resource Agent

Christoph Mitasch cmitasch at thomas-krenn.com
Wed Apr 6 08:56:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody is using LXC in a high availability cluster.

I tried to use it in a Pacemaker Cluster together with DRBD.

In theory there would be the VirtualDomain Resource Agent supporting
libvirt. But since my libvirt experience together with LXC was not
promising, I think the best option is to use lxc-tools.

It worked for me when using the lxc init script (/etc/init.d/lxc) for
active/passive configurations.

As far as I found out only /etc/lxc/ and corresponding lxc rootfs dirs
have to be shared. /var/lib/lxc should not be necessary, because lxc
init script doesn't use lxc-create/lxc-destroy.

Anything else to take care of when moving LXC containers around machines?

For active/active and more advanced configurations an OCF Resource Agent
for LXC would be nice. It could be similar to the ManageVE RA for OpenVZ:
http://hg.linux-ha.org/agents/raw-file/tip/heartbeat/ManageVE

Regards,
Christoph