[Lxc-users] Running LXC on a pxelinux machine

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Tue Apr 5 15:13:20 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 09:49 AM, Gus Power wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a pxelinux boot configuration with a remote NFS root filesystem
> and was wondering if anyone out there has tried running lxc on such a
> configuration. I'm having difficulty getting the host machine to talk
> with the running lxc containers.
>
> I managed to get a local bridge interface up and running without hanging
> the host machine using the following:
>
> #Copy to /tmp tmpfs to avoid NFS hang
> cp /sbin/brctl /tmp
> cp /sbin/ifconfig /tmp
>
> /tmp/brctl
> /tmp/ifconfig
> /tmp/brctl addbr br0
> /tmp/ifconfig br0 up
> /tmp/brctl setfd br0 0
> /tmp/brctl stp br0 off
> /tmp/brctl addif br0 eth0
> /tmp/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.68 netmask 255.255.255.0
> /tmp/brctl show
>
> > From there I can create lxc container instances; other machines on the
> network can talk to them but the host machine is unable to do so. I
> suspect I need to update the bridge tables (using ebtables) in some way.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi Gus,

I am not sure to understand the use case. Can you elaborate ?

Do you want to run containers on your diskless host ?
or
Do you want to have your diskless host to run inside a container ?

I did recently a configuration with a tftp server running inside a
container and a pxe host to boot inside it.
It was working like a charm. Maybe it is what you are looking for ?